When "Ama and Papa" Daily were here to visit us in May, Mary Anne (Ama) and I went to the Antique Mall downtown. There she found a hardcover copy of The Classic Tales of Beatrix Potter - The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit and Friends. She asked me if she could buy it as a gift for the baby, and I enthusiastically said, "Yes!" When my first nephew was born, I used to purchase the individual little books from the adventures and give them as gifts. I loved looking at the brightly colored watercolors showing little animals in their homes and gardens. So I was very happy to have the stories to read to my little one someday.
I actually started reading the book that night, and I've read most of it now. But I have to say, some of the stories are really unusual. They don't "protect the sensibilities" of young children! Take the Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, for example. Here is a duck that wants to set on her own eggs, so goes off and lays them in the shed that a fox lets her use. A dog hears about this, and knows that the future ducklings are at risk from the fox, so rounds up two of his canine pals to run the fox off. But one of the pals eats the eggs himself! Yikes!!
If you look at the wallpaper borders posted previously, you will see how the little rabbits wear waistcoats or ribbons, just like the Cottontail family. I think the bunnies are very cute! So now the theme is coming together: a rabbit chandelier, maybe some bunny wallpaper, a Beatrix Potter book...
With all this in mind, I did a search for Beatrix Potter bedding and have found a maker of quilts online at Swedish Baby Quilts, located in Arkansas. I asked them to send me some fabric swatches which I received on Friday. I taped them to a piece of paper and taped the paper up on the wall beside our paint swatch. So this is how our nursery wall is looking today! (Click on pic to zoom in.)
No comments:
Post a Comment