Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Baby has dropped...

At my appointment last Thursday, November 6, my nurse practioner told me that baby's head appeared to be engaged. (This means baby's head is now within the pelvic bones.) On Monday night, Jodi, our hypnobirthing specialist, and Tim both agreed that it looked like baby had dropped down in position. I have noticed that my heartburn is much reduced, so there must indeed be less pressure up at the top. I am also feeling lots more cramping in the lower abdomen, more lower back discomfort, and odd pelvic twinges. On Sunday, I felt like my pelvic bones were so loose that I was hobbling around the house for a few hours! Last night, for fun, I timed my Braxton Hicks contractions, and they were averaging about seven minutes apart, but still very irregular. I do sometimes wonder if the full moon tomorrow will start up my labor! But I'm hoping baby waits until my mother-in-law, Mary Anne, arrives Saturday, and until Lynn, my doula, gets over her new cold!

Right Occiput Anterior Nurse also mentioned that baby appears to by laying in an optimal position, Right Occiput Anterior, where baby's back is on my right side. Here is a neat website showing baby's head in the pelvis (scroll down): Fetal Position within the Birth Canal. [Other info from the appointment: blood pressure nice and low at 104/66, I passed the Strep B test, so no need for antibiotics at birth, baby passed the NST as usual, and fluid level was 13.8.]

So I suddenly feel like the end is near! The book, What to Expect When You Are Expecting, says that in first time moms, labor usually follows about two to four weeks after baby drops. I would love for baby to arrive on November 19th! In the meantime, Tim and I are practicing my relaxation techniques, I sit on my yoga ball instead of a desk chair all day (to open up the pelvis and strengthen my legs), continue my prenatal yoga, and drink my pregnancy tea, all in an effort to have a very smooth delivery. Here's hoping!

No comments: