Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Soldiers in Afghanistan

My friend Christina, who named a star after Thomas for us and also has twin girls, has a brother in Afghanistan. Last month, I asked her if I could send some care packages to him that he could share with his fellow soldiers who do not get anything at all. She asked him and he said he would do that, especially since moral is really low right now in Afghanistan.

So I have been buying some things. I got some Christmas candy at the supermarket, some paperbacks and games at the thrift store, and some decorations, cards, toiletries, food items, etc. at the Dollar Store. I am going to make five care packages and send them along with a few other random items like homemade cookies and extra gifts.

And then today Tim and I got an email that the grandson of one of my golfing league ladies has just been killed in Afghanistan. He is the young marine from Kansas City, Nicholas Hand, who died Sunday. How incredibly sad for his parents and grandparents and the rest of his family.

So when you count your blessings this Thanksgiving, please include your thanks for the soldiers who serve our country. And say prayers for their families who must worry tremendously about them, just like Christina worries for her brother.

Thank you.

2 comments:

Christina said...

That made me cry...thank you so much!!

SUSI said...

Hi Susan -

what a special way to make a difference and honor the soldiers overseas.

My heart goes out to the family of Nicholas. I will make sure to include the soldiers that fight for this country and put their lives on the line day and night for our freedom in my Thanksgiving prayer.

Hugs,
Susi