This might have a little more graphic info than you are used to... so here it is, my Friday in all its yucky glory:
On Friday morning, I was catching up with some emails and message boards, and doing some research at Babies R Us online. I started to feel strangely light headed, so I ate something sweet with protein (a granola bar and then a bunch of cashews). But it got worse so I went to lay down and had to get up instantly from the awful vertigo I experienced. Yuck, I hate when my head spins! I felt an urge to pee, and did and there was more than usual (even though I had just gone to the bathroom) and it was clear and it smelled sweet and came out easily, which is not usually the case these days, with all the pressure down there. It made me wonder if it was just urine, or if it could have also been some amniotic fluid. Then I sat down in the living room and called Tim and told him I felt really awful. He didn't know what he could do for me, and I didn't have any ideas. I just wanted him to know. After I hung up, I went and sat in the bathroom for ten minutes before finally succumbing to the urge to throw up. Ummm... never eat dry nuts if you think you might puke...
Anyway, I soaked my underpants completely and my pants, and didn't even feel any of it come out. It didn't smell like anything.
I called my OB's office and had to wait for a nurse to call me back, since they were all on lunch and had to be paged. The receptionist warned me that the nurse would probably tell me to head to an emergency room, if I thought I broke my water. I called and told Tim, so he left work (he had my truck as it was snowing here, with already at least an inch on the ground) to come and pick me up. A nurse called a few minutes later and said to come into the office, they would check me out there.
I had no idea if I should even be packing a bag! I didn't want to give birth! I ran through a few scenerios in my head, from having read other women's experiences. It could just be a slow leak, and so I would probably be admitted into the hospital and placed on hospital bedrest. Or one of the membrane sacs did burst, and so they would administer steroid shots to help the babies' lungs mature, give me antibiotics, and then induce me in 48 hours, or remove the babies by c-section. Or it could just be urine in both cases, and so I would just be embarrassed and head home. I was hoping for the third case.
While waiting for Tim to arrive, and there was no rush according to the nurse, I bagan packing a few things just in case. I grabbed my digital camera, battery charger and cell phone charger, several magazines, a Suduko book, and two books for reading. I packed a few pairs of underpants and some comfy clothing. (I was thinking more along the lines of hospital bedrest.) Also my toiletries, a photo of Thomas, and my pregnancy journal. I didn't pack anything for the babies, as nothing had been washed yet!
Tim arrived and got a bag for me and we piled everything inside. Got in the truck and headed for the city. The roads weren't too bad, you could see all the salt and sand placed on the roads near home. The scenery was very pretty: all freshly fallen snow clinging to bare trees with about two or three inches on the ground. We hoped it wasn't an omen! Traffic wasn't heavy and we caught nearly every light. We parked in the lot closest to the office and walked in. I only started having the contractions as I begain packing the bag, so they were still pretty light. Tim told me he was wearing the same shirt he was wearing when I went into labor with Thomas!
The office was completely empty! Maybe they don't take appointments on Friday afternoons, but whatever it was, it sure was nice!
We went in a regular exam room, I undressed, and the NP (nurse practioner) did two swabs. One was the PH strip test, and that was negative, and the other was a new test called "amnio-sure" which is a lot like a home pregnancy test, in that you have to wait several minutes to see two lines (positive), but having just one line is the control (negative). So she did that and it was also negative for exposure to amniotic fluid. While she had the speculum in, she took a look at the cervix and at a glance, it is still closed and high.
But nurse was concerned that the gushing on the toilet didn't sound right, so she is letting the OB on call know in case something further happens this weekend with me. I told her I would much rather be embarrassed to learn it was just pee, then have it be amniotic fluid.
So Thank God it was negative. Of course, my BH Cx totally ramped up the rest of the day, and I had like ten in that first hour after the nurse was done; they got up to two to three minutes apart in the car ride home. So I drank a bottle of water, ate something, and napped for a bit in the glider we have in the nursery.
Today we are off to Babies R Us to purchase car seats, stroller, monitors, and quite a few other things with the gift cards we received from before.
Tuesday is my next appointment, and I will post an update after that.
1 comment:
Holy cow, thank goodness the girls are still hanging on!! Rest up, don't overdue it shopping today!
Post a Comment