Saturday, April 19, 2008

The positive test (+)

So this is what started this joyous period in my life:

Positive pregnancy test

I had very little hope I was pregnant at first. (You know: been there, done that.) But as the days passed, I started to think, well maybe these little tugs in my pelvis area are my uterus ligaments starting to stretch! And then I read somewhere that when you are pregnant, your pulse is much stronger and faster. So after I woke up from a nap (that should have been a clue, too, hehe), I found my pulse very easily and counted the beats for fifteen seconds, and multiplied by four. Instead of my usual 60-70 at rest pulse, which I sometimes have a hard time finding, I measured 84! So this was my first big WOOHOO! A positive sign! So I secretly bought some tests, and did one on 12dpo (dpo=days post ovulation, or when the eggs were retrieved, which is normally on the 14th day of a woman's cycle). My beta (blood pregnancy test) wasn't scheduled until 14dpo, so I was so happy to see a nice strong line on the HPT (home pregnancy test). It came up almost right away. My relief was palpable, quickly followed by sheer happiness. It had worked!!

I am such a nerd, I sent this picture of my HPT to my nurse in Colorado. She was so happy for me, but she had to laugh, I was the very first patient to send her a picture like that! But she admitted to sharing it with all the other nurses, and they loved seeing it, too. So my nurse moved my beta up a day, since I already had the strong positive result.

By the way, transfer day was Tuesday, March 11th. Tim got to see the embryos under the microscope. We transferred two. The embryologist described one as a "perfect blast" and the other as an early blast, or morula. This picture is of another woman's embryos, the blast on the left and the morula on the right; she had a transfer the day after me. Tim said the perfect blast looked like it was twice as big as the morula. (We have no photo of ours.) The embryologist said it would probably implant the next day, it was so healthy looking.

Blast and morula

Pretty neat how babies first look, huh?

No comments: