An hour before I was supposed to head out this morning for some errands (blood test, acupuncture), I noticed I had a vision problem. I couldn't see what I was focused on, in the center of my vision. Then a squiggly rainbow line started cutting across my vision, even with my eyes closed. I knew I was about to have another Vision Migraine. This is the third one I've had in the past four weeks. They started about eight years ago, and I went to see a neurologist who explained that instead of migraine headaches, my migraines manifest as loss of vision. I have had one about once every year or two since the first one. (I'm grateful they aren't headache migraines, since I did have one of those when I was in my 20s, and they are horrible. Understatement of the year.)
My first vision migraine this pregnancy occurred on the evening of April 2nd, at 5w6d. I was able to sleep it off, but it gave me a headache, so I took a tylenol and that helped. (I can't take advil-related products.) Then I had a tiny one last Thursday or Friday afternoon - it only affected my vision mildly and lasted just a half an hour. Today's started at 9am, I slept for two hours and had normal vision when I awoke. But I had a splitting headache. I took a tylenol and laid back down again in the darkened bedroom. My head hurt no matter what part touched the pillow. I was worried I might get sick. The tylenol finally kicked in after an hour, and I slept until 2 pm.
I have been wearing sunglasses for the rest of the day, and my headache (had to take another tylenol) has become milder. My Colorado nurse asked me to tell my local OB, so I did. The nurse here said there is nothing more I can do about it, which is what I figured. (I had posted on a message board after the first one if it was more common to have migraines due to pregnancy hormones, and I had an overwhelming response of YES!)
Tim was his usual funny self. Last night I had sadly said that I sometimes worry if maybe the baby has stopped growing, because how would I know otherwise? I said I was glad I didn't suffer from m/s or nauseau, but still, it would probably let me know I was still pregnant if I was suffering. So when I called Tim to tell him, he replied, "See? You have to be careful what you ask for - you are now suffering from a symptom!"
Oh, and since I mentioned the bedroom: this is our new king-sized bed! We bought a Westin Heavenly Bed with the mattress, boxspring, pillows, duvet filler, and down blankets, and our own bedding to cover it all. We have decided this is our Fifth Wedding Anniversary present to each other. (It is this coming Saturday.) We love our bed. And here is a tip I learned online to keep your pillowtop mattresses fluffy: beat the surface of the mattress with a baseball bat when you change the sheets!
No comments:
Post a Comment